Monday 7 May 2012

Beltane/Beltain, Burning the Wickerman

At the weekend I attended The Festival of Beltain (spelt Beltane or Beltain) at Butser Ancient Farm in Hampshire. The highlight of the event was the burning of the Wickerman at 9pm. Beltane is a celebration of the glory of spring at its height and also marked the beginning of the summer. Beltane translated means "fire of Bel" or "bright fire" A wonderful time was had, and the burning of The Wickerman was very spectacular and quite eerie, and no one mentioned Edward Woodwood which I was expecting. With a beer tent selling lots of strange ales and cider everyone seemed in very good spirits (I was driving so a tiny tiny sip of Cider was all I had) I will def go again next year, just have to work out how to get there without driving. For more images go to my flickr page

No comments:

Post a Comment