Monday 10 August 2020

Tim Smith and Cardiacs

On July 21st 2020 Tim Smith (Cardiacs) sadly passed away. I have been listening to a lot of
Cardiacs over the last week or so, and thinking quite a bit about how and when
I finally really got into them. The first time I heard Cardiacs I was round a friends house, to be blunt I hated them, I had never heard anything I had hated so much in my life...they were annoying me so much. This supprised a few people as they really thought I would like them given some of the other things that I listened to (Devo, Swell Maps, Wire, Psych, Prog) It was pointed out to me that someone I knew had worked on Cardiacs Seaside Treats Video (this did not cut much ice with me) Sometime later I heard Cardiacs again and was midly irritated...but strangely not as irritated. Time went on and I would occasionally hear them being played round at friends flats.  Then something strange happened, one day I found myself humming a tune, which I could not place and it would not go away. I suddenly realised it was in fact Cardiacs Is This the Life.
I really could not get the song out of my head. Not long after this I had the chance of going to see Cardiacs live. After much foot dragging I agreed to go. When we got there I could not believe how packed the venue was. The Band came on stage and did nothing...there was a bit of heckling and Tim Smith told them all to shut up, but then kept on saying it. At one point he seemed to punch/slap himself on the face, and still nothing happened. There was only minor lighting on stage and the band seemed to be dressed in tatty old prom suits or the sort of uniform worn by
a brass band which was covered in dust. The audience were getting more vocal and the tension was rising, but still nothing happened then...the band played, the whole crowd started to dance, jump up and down and at certain point almost every one would sing and raise their arms in the air. The song was Big Ship and it was at that moment that every bulb in my head went on and exploded at the same time. It was fantastic, how could I have not liked this band? even the song which annoyed me a year or so before was amazing (R.E.S) I left the show a changed man. I spent the next few months catching up with all I could Cardiacs related. I realise now that liking Cardiacs might not always be an instant thing for everyone, but when it does finally hit you its like opening a treasure chest of musical wonder. I had the pleasure of meeting Tim Smith on two occasions (Cardiacs and Levitation) I was at the time working at a music venue and helped Tim and the band with their equipment. I informed Tim that I was due to go home for a few hrs but had decided to stay on so I could meet the band and maybe have a chat. Tim was charming, polite, funny and lovely, he answered all my daft questions and more, we discussed music and bands and the music business. Because of Tim Smith and Cardiacs I started to listen to William D Drake, North Sea Radio Orchestra, Kavus Torabi.  Big Ship, Dirty Boy, Nurses whispering verses, watching Maresnest, Seaside Treats, Jim Plugs his bass in for 10 mins,  all this has given me so much Joy. Thank you Mr Smith for creating a truly wonderful and inspiring sound. Tim Smith RIP.

2 comments:

  1. Jim plugging his bass in for 10 minutes does not get the recognition it deserves

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sure does not. But works everytime.

    ReplyDelete