Wednesday 17 July 2019

1969 Moonbase and More

What with it being 50 years since the Apollo Moon Landings, I thought it might be a good time to put my 1969 Space City Biscuit Tin on here. My friend Mr Palmer picked this up for me and it really is quite a lovely thing. In 1969 we were all so optimistic about space and the moon. The general assumption was that by the 1990s/end of the century we would be holidaying on the moon and there would be a rather splended Moonbase. On TV and Film we were constantly shown people living and working on the moon: Clavius Base in 2001, Moonbase Alpha in Space 1999, SHADO Moonbase in UFO (set in 1980) and even Hammer got in on the act with Moon City in Moon Zero 2 (set in 2021). Sadly of course in the real world none of this happened, even though I was convinced that it would. More on My fondness of all things 60s and 70s Spacewise can be sort out on Found Objects

SHADO/UFO Moonbase
Moonbase Alpha, Space 1999
Clavius Base, 2001
Moon City, Moon Zero Two

No comments:

Post a Comment